Why Chesterfield County?
The Chesterfield County Police Department is located in central Virginia and adjoins the City of Richmond. With over 400 square miles of parks, trails, attractions and other opportunities, you can decide your lifestyle. These will also be the areas you will be patrolling.
We understand that many of our applicants are from out of the area or state. We hope that these tools will help if you decide to relocate to our county. View videos about life in Chesterfield County. Additionally, you can learn more about the Police Department through our bi-weekly podcast, which can be found on Spotify. SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Podcasts. Listen to what officers are up to, what's new in the department and hear from Police Chief Colonel Jeffrey S. Katz. We look forward to sharing some behind-the-scenes conversations with our listeners.
Our recruiters are here for you and your quality of life matters. We want you, your family and your friends to be comfortable, informed and excited about starting a career in law enforcement with our department.
Join Chesterfield County Police
The Chesterfield County Police Department is now hiring new and pre-certified officers.
- Apply - Police Officer
- Apply - Police Officer Pre-Certified (In-State)
- Apply - Police Officer Pre-Certified (Out-of-State)
Chat with a Recruiter
The department offers an attractive benefits package, including paid training (no overnights or weekends). Recruit salary is $56,107 until the completion of training. Upon completion of field training and progression to officer status, the salary increases to $58,536. Pre-certified officers are competitively compensated commensurate to similarly tenured and experienced incumbent personnel.
We are a progressive and innovative department with 500-plus officers and more than 100 civilian employees that are a part of the community, not apart from it. In addition to our officer positions, we also have internship and volunteer opportunities available. Our officers are committed to serving the people of Chesterfield County with integrity and professionalism. Broaden your law enforcement experience through advanced training and/or serving in one of our many specialized units. View our recruitment video.
Contact Police Recruitment
Previous Applicant Inquiries
For inquiries on previous applicants, call 804-748-1547 during business hours, 8;30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday.
All applicants must meet the following minimum basic qualifications:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have a high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Must be at least 21 years of age prior to completion of the field training program
- Must possess or be eligible for a Virginia driver's license
- Must pass a physical ability test
- Must have binocular vision of 20/25 corrected
- Must have weight in proportion to height
- Must pass an extensive background investigation, which includes a polygraph, psychological, medical and drug screening
- Must be in compliance with the department’s Dress Code and Appearance Policy (PDF)
Note: Applicants will be eliminated for significant omissions or falsifications on any documents prepared in conjunction with the application process.
- No conviction of, or guilty or no contest plea to, any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including petit larceny, any misdemeanor sex offense, or any domestic assault
- No conviction of felonies and/or serious or habitual misdemeanors
- No more than six demerit points in the past twelve months or a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction within the past four years on Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) transcript
For more information, view the employee benefits summary page.
Equipment, Shift Assignments and Leave
- 21 days military leave per year for annual military training
- 33 days paid time off (PTO)
- Permanent shift assignments
- Take-home vehicle for Chesterfield County residents and those who reside in a contiguous jurisdiction within seventeen miles of the county line upon successful completion of field training
- Uniform and equipment furnished
Training and Continuing Education
- Career development program
- Participation in the Position Readiness Education Program (PDF)
- Regular (semi-annual) in-service and training at the Chesterfield County Eanes-Pittman Public Safety Training Center
- Tuition assistance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Free accidental death and dismemberment policy to four times your salary
- Free life insurance coverage to twice your salary
- Long-term care insurance
- Long-term disability program
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short-term disability program provides 60% of your income after elimination period
- Workers’ compensation insurance
- Deferred compensation plans
- Full retirement benefits through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS), health and dental care available to retirees at the county group rate at 55 or older, with 15 years of full-time service
- Law Enforcement Officers Supplement income through Virginia State Retirement Services with 20 years VRS service
- If you move to a VRS-covered position from a non-covered position with an employer that has a portability agreement with VRS (PDF), you may be eligible to transfer retirement assets from the former employer's plan in exchange for VRS service credit.
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees’ Federal Credit Union
Learn more by viewing the application process video.
Once you apply, our Police Personnel Unit will reach out to you via email (be sure to check your spam/junk folders). In that email, you’ll be given instructions to complete a background packet. You must return the background packet to us electronically. Once your background packet has been received, the next step in our hiring process is to take our physical ability test. You must be invited to the test to participate.
If you have not received an email within two weeks of application, please contact the Chesterfield County Police Personnel Unit at 804-748-1547.
Once you confirm your test date, you must print and bring your completed background packet with you to your assigned test date. Applicants who do not bring their completed background packet with them to testing will not be admitted.
Please note: if you are applying for a Pre-Certified Lateral Officer position, you must bring a copy of your training records along with our completed background packet to the test.
If you have any questions, call the Police Personnel Unit at 804-748-1547.
Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, only those with the most suitable job-related experience, education and qualifications will be selected. Once your application is received, it will be reviewed to determine if you are eligible to test.
Candidates who ae not selected will be sent a letter. We do not disclose the reasons for a candidate’s removal from the process. If you wish to reapply, you must wait at least 12 months from the date of your letter.
Local testing can only be scheduled by the Chesterfield County Police Personnel Division after an application has been submitted. Once you apply online, the Police Personnel Division will reach out to you via phone.
We currently utilize the LawFit Work Performance test as our physical agility test. Come dressed in appropriate clothing, such as t-shirts, shorts, sweatpants and sweatshirts. It is imperative that your body is well hydrated and prepared for physical activity prior to participating in the LawFit Work Performance test.
This process should begin prior to your scheduled test date. If you have any questions concerning your capability to perform the test, you should contact your physician. View the LawFit Work Performance test standards (PDF).
People Over Process
Chesterfield County Police Department was recently highlighted by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) for successful recruitment and retention efforts and organizational culture - specifically our emphasis on people over process. Additionally, our commitment to preserve life, protect the vulnerable and establish problem-solving partnerships were noted.
Join our award-winning agency that recruits, develops and trains top-tier talent to serve and protect our beloved community. View the IACP Thought Leadership video.