Marriage Licenses, Copies, Name Change & Minister Authorization

  1. Obtain a License
  2. Obtain a Copy
  3. Change Your Name
  4. Minister Authorization

Obtaining a Marriage License 

Access the Clerk’s automated marriage license application system. Using this online application will speed the marriage license issuance process.

To minimize wait times, after online submission, call the Clerk's Office at 804-717-6517 to schedule an appointment to claim the license.

Marriage licenses are:

  • Issued 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
  • Issued in the Circuit Court Clerk’s Record Room located on the ground floor of the main Courts Building (9500 Courthouse Road)
  • Valid for 60 days


  • Marriage must take place in Virginia.
  • A self-addressed, stamped envelope should be presented for the return of a certified copy of the license.
  • Both parties must be present and must be prepared to present a valid government-issued photo I.D. to confirm age eligibility.
    • The minimum age at which persons may marry is 18, unless a minor has been emancipated by court order.
    • Upon application for a marriage license, an emancipated minor must provide a certified copy of the order of emancipation.


$30.00 for issuance of the license + $2.50 for a certified copy of the license (plus postage if a self-addressed, stamped envelope is not provided). Obtaining a certified copy is not required; however, it is strongly suggested as the certified copy is often necessary for employers, banks, insurance companies, etc.


Payment types accepted

Marriage Ceremonies at Courthouse

There is no one in the Clerk’s Office (or Judges’ Chambers) that performs wedding ceremonies at the courthouse. It is recommended that parties contact a civil marriage celebrant or a minister authorized to perform marriages in Virginia. An authorized marriage celebrant should be able to produce a copy of the court order or clerk’s order that authorized him/her to perform marriage ceremonies in Virginia.

There are some civil celebrants appointed by the Court who are willing to perform ceremonies at the Courts Building (typically outside). Specific details regarding a ceremony would need to be discussed with the celebrant chosen.