- Circuit Court
- Land Records
Land Records Indexes
Land record indexes (searchable by name) are available online. Land Records staff can be reached at 804-748-1285 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Concerned about property fraud? Check out our Property Notification Service!
Land Transaction Documents
The Circuit Court Clerk’s Office records documents associated with land transactions in Chesterfield County, such as
- deeds of trust (mortgages)
- other official instruments/documents
- documents must be authorized by law to be recorded in the Deed Book
- required to meet applicable statutory provisions
- documents must be originals that have been signed and properly notarized
- a Land Records Cover Sheet
- a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) to ensure the safe and timely return of the original document
- for deeds, the amount of consideration must be stated on the first page of the document (i.e., not only on the Land Records Cover Sheet).
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
NOTE: Documents presented after normal recording hours will be recorded the next business day.
Return of Recorded Documents
Filing parties who include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) can receive documents returned by mail.
Documents that are not accompanied by a SASE will be maintained in the Record Room for pickup.
- Fees and taxes vary according to the type of document being recorded.
- Deed Calculation Tool, provided by the Supreme Court of Virginia, assists users with determining recording costs. To determine applicable fees
- select the Chesterfield Circuit Court
- enter the requested information for the document(s) to be recorded
For further inquiries relating to recording fees or requirements, please call 804-748-1285 to speak with a staff member in the Deed Recording Division.
- Subdivision plats must be approved in accordance with the county's subdivision ordinance.
- Subdivision Approval Process (PDF)
If you have questions relating to the Subdivision Approval Process, contact the Planning Department at 804-748-1050.
Cover Sheet Requirements
Pursuant to Code of Virginia § 17.1-227.1, the Chesterfield Circuit Court Clerk's Office requires a Land Records Cover Sheet for all documents recorded in the Deed Book.
- Data contained on Cover Sheets is scanned via bar code readers, allowing instruments/documents to be recorded more timely and accurately.
- To create the required Cover Sheet
- review Cover Sheet Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- access Virginia Land Records Cover Sheet software
Please call the Clerk’s Office at 804-748-1285 with any questions relating to Cover Sheets.
Tax ID Requirements
Tax ID Numbers on Documents Presented for Recording in the Deed Book
Pursuant to Code of Virginia § 17.1-252, effective July 1, 2000, any deed or other instrument conveying or relating to an interest in real property must bear, on the first page of the deed or other instrument, the tax map reference number or numbers, or the parcel identification number (PIN) or numbers, of the affected parcel or parcels.
- Chesterfield's standard Tax ID Number is 15 digits.
- Please place the Tax ID Number in the upper left corner of the first page after allowing a one-inch margin pursuant to Library of Virginia standards.
- The Tax ID Number can be obtained from the Real Estate Assessor.
Social Security Numbers on Documents Presented for Recording in the Deed Book
Pursuant to Code of Virginia § 17.1-227, effective July 1, 2003, the Clerk's Office will not knowingly accept any instrument submitted for recordation in the Deed Book that includes the social security number.