- Human Services
- Citizen Information and Resources
- Aging and Disability Services
Aging and Disability Services
Chesterfield County older adults (age 55 or older) are invited to a Senior Prom dance at Thomas Dale High School on Friday, May 19 from 6-9 p.m. Music will be provided by Spectrum. There will be light refreshments and raffle prizes. Register for this free event organized by Chesterfield County and Chesterfield County Public Schools.
Legal and Financial Workshop for Family Caregivers
Learn more about wills, trusts and other essential estate planning documents on Tuesday, May 23 from 10-11:30 a.m. at Bon Air Library. This educational presentation about the basics of estate planning will include the importance of estate planning, pitfalls and benefits of each type of plan including no plan, will-based plans, revocable living trusts and several other options. Register for this free event hosted by Chesterfield Council on Aging.
Assistance for Older Adults and Individuals with Physical and Sensory Disabilities
The Office of Aging and Disability Services, created in May 2003, is Chesterfield County’s leading resource for older adults and individuals with physical and sensory disabilities. The office serves residents of ages 50 and older, family members and caregivers. Chesterfield County recognizes that older adults offer a wealth of knowledge and experience and want to live active, independent lives.
In addition to providing resources such as the Resource Directory for Older Adults (English) (PDF) and the Resource Directory for Older Adults (Spanish) (PDF), Aging and Disability Services:
- Promotes and coordinate services for older adults, individuals with physical and sensory disabilities, and their caregivers through regular meetings with county Human Services departments, not-for-profit organizations and private businesses.
- Provides information and referrals to services and resources relating to issues of aging, caregiving, and physical or sensory disabilities.
- Provides information and resources to grandparents and other kin raising a child.
- Serves older adults who want to remain active, independent and vital contributors to their communities.
Resources and Related Organizations
Care Services Databases
- VirginiaNavigator - Virginia Family Caregiver Solution Center
- 50+ Active Lifestyles
- Adult Protective Services
- Chesterfield County Public Library Programs
- Financial Assistance
- Lifelong Learning Institute
- Mobility Services
- Real Estate Tax Relief
- Smoke Alarm Program
- Alzheimer's Association
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
- Caregiver Action Network
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- National Council on Aging
- National Institute on Aging
- USA.gov Health
Volunteers enable Aging and Disability Services to offer programs and services to the community by providing assistance in a variety of ways. Most opportunities are available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasionally, assistance is needed on Saturday. To volunteer, complete a volunteer application (PDF) and review the volunteer policy handbook (PDF). Current volunteer opportunities:
- Research Assistant - The volunteer will help research various programs, plans and costs and help inventory existing services for older adults.
- Special Events - These volunteers provide customer service and general support for a variety of special events. Duties vary but include greeting participants, assisting event coordinators, working the event and providing information about the activities during the event.
- Telephone Reassurance - Volunteers provide brief, daily telephone calls to older adults or disabled county residents to verify their well-being and provide a community connection. This service provides peace of mind and reassurance to the person living alone. Calls are made on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings and on Tuesday afternoons from the Aging and Disability Services office.
View additional county volunteer services and opportunities.
There are no published events in current month.