Budget and Management
Performing Fiscal and Management Analysis
Budget and Management is responsible for developing and aiding in financial oversight for the annual budget and capital improvement program to ensure good fiscal stewardship of the county's resources.
Through the Blueprint Chesterfield initiative, Budget and Management engages with the community year-round to stay informed about what's most important. The Five-Year plan acts as a framework for prioritizing current and future resource needs and works closely with staff from other departments, the Citizens Budget Advisory Committee, and the Board of Supervisors all the way through annual budget adoption in April.
In addition to maintaining the county Triple-AAA bond rating, Budget and Management has received the Government Finance Officers Association's Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for 36 consecutive years, which is the highest form of recognition for excellence in local government budgeting.
Provide Budget Feedback
Provide feedback or ask a question regarding the annual budget, budget process, community facilities and infrastructure, or general comment by using the budget feedback form or email Budget and Management.
Community members are encouraged to stay involved via additional feedback opportunities, including:
Comment Periods, Hearings and Meetings
- Board of Supervisors Meeting Public Comment Periods - Each regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors has three public comment periods. View public comment guidelines.
- District Community Meetings - Proposed budget district community meetings are held annually in March on the county administrator’s proposed budget.
- Public Hearings - The Chesterfield County code requires public hearings on the county administrator’s proposed budget. Public hearings are also held throughout the year when required pursuant to county code. For information on upcoming public hearings, please contact the clerk to the Board of Supervisors at 804-748-1200.
Committees and Volunteer Opportunities
- Citizens Budget Advisory Committee - The Citizens Budget Advisory Committee is designed to provide guidance to the Board of Supervisors in evaluation and allocation of resources in accordance with the county’s strategic plan.
- County Board and Commission Volunteer Opportunities - Chesterfield County is a first choice community in part because of the many community members who volunteer their time and talents to the county. The county receives valuable guidance from citizens who serve on a number of boards and commissions.
Road cash proffers are funds offered by developers and approved by the Board of Supervisors at the time of rezoning to help defray the transportation capital facilities costs associated with the resultant development. Road cash proffers will be used to cover the costs of transportation projects. View the cash proffers policy (PDF).
With the implementation of the new Enterprise Land Management (ELM) system, the process for remitting cash proffers to the county has changed.
Once you have received a final building permit an invoice can be created to pay a cash proffer either online or in person at the Building Inspection office. To have a cash proffer invoice created, please call the Department of Budget and Management at 804-748-1548 or email Coleman Wells. All calls and emails will be returned within 24 hours.
If an invoice has been created, cash proffer payments can also be mailed to the Department of Building Inspection, 9901 Lori Rd, Chesterfield, VA 23832 or deposited in the Treasurer’s Drop box located outside of the Lane B. Ramsey Administration Building.
Be sure the building permit number, property address and customer’s return address are included with all payments.
Community Contracts and Donation Process
Chesterfield County’s Board of Supervisors annually consider requests for financial assistance from not-for-profit organizations that provide services to the residents of Chesterfield County. A request for funding must be submitted by completing a new application each fall for the upcoming budget year.
Review and Recommendations
After staff’s review of the applications, the County Administrator presents funding recommendations to the Board of Supervisors in March as part of his proposed budget. Organizations, and the public, have an opportunity to address the Board of Supervisors regarding the County Administrator’s proposed budget at an advertised public hearing. It is suggested that you contact the Budget and Management Department in early March to determine if your organization is recommended for funding so you can determine whether attendance at the public hearing is prudent or not. Organizations who have questions or concerns about funding recommendations may also reach out to the Board of Supervisors directly.
The Board of Supervisors adopts the annual budget in April, including the donation and community contract recipients for the upcoming fiscal year. Those organizations approved for funding will be advised via e-mail in May, although funds cannot be disbursed until after July 1 of that year.
If a contract is required, the County Attorney’s Office will work with each organization to define the obligations and/or services to be provided to the county by the recipient. Funds will not be disbursed until the contract has been executed by all parties. Requests for disbursement of funds must be submitted via invoice after July 1.
View the Adopted FY2024 Community Contracts (PDF) listing.
- Annual Financial Reports - On the Accounting page, access current and archived Annual Comprehensive Financial Reports (ACFR) and Popular Annual Financial Reports (PAFR).
- Monthly Investment Report - On the Treasurer's page, the monthly investment report is presented in accordance with the Treasurer’s Investment Policy.
- Special Assessment Districts - View the Special Assessment Districts in Chesterfield.
- Vendor Payments - Chesterfield County Government - On the Accounting page, view the vendor payment information in our archive center, which is extracted monthly from the accounts payable data available in the county's financial system and reflects only county government payments.
- Vendor Payments - Chesterfield County Public Schools - On the CCPS page, vendor payment information is extracted monthly from the accounts payable data available in the county’s financial system and reflects only school division payments.
Chesterfield Economic Development Authority
The Economic Development Authority (EDA) issues separate, audited financial statements and its financial activity is included in the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report as a blended component unit. View EDA audited financial statements.
Community Development Authorities
Community Development Authorities (CDA) issue separate, audited financial statements and are presented in the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report as discretely presented component units. View the Chippenham Place CDA financial statements and the Watkins Centre CDA financial statements.
Posted on January 29, 2024Machine learning model analyzes trends and projects changes in student enrollment on a school-by-school basis over a five-year period, giving county and school leaders a better idea where additional capacity will be needed Read on...
Posted on July 14, 2023The bond referendum will provide $375 million for school capital projects and $165 million for the county over the next five to seven years. Read on...
Posted on June 29, 2023New executive director of sports, visitation and entertainment taking strategic approach to marketing Chesterfield's assets, amenities and attractions, with a goal of keeping an even greater share of tourist spending in the county Read on...
Posted on April 5, 2023The budget, which totals $1.94 billion, continues a multiyear process to alleviate acute pay compression and maintain employees’ salaries in a market competitive position. It is also balanced against more than $38 million in comprehensive tax relief. Read on...
Gerard DurkinDirector, Budget and Management
Budget and Management
9901 Lori Road
Room 401, 4th Floor
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Chesterfield County Budget and Management
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Phone 804-748-1548Fax 804-751-4988