Community Enhancement enforcement code and license inspectors enforce codes and ordinances that promote clean, attractive and safe neighborhoods and businesses. Zoning and code compliance help promote the health, safety and general welfare of Chesterfield County residents by designating the types of buildings, businesses and activities that are acceptable in specific zoning districts.

Submit a Concern

There are many misconceptions about codes and code violations. If you’re uncertain about codes, code violations or code enforcement, ask questions before you act to save time, money and effort. If you observe a violation, you may contact Community Enhancement at 804-748-1500 or submit a concern or complaint online using the Enterprise Land Management (ELM) citizen access portal. View the online submittal guide (PDF)

Common concerns submitted through the ELM portal include:

  • Animal concerns, including dogs
  • Fence concerns
  • Property maintenance
  • Tall grass and weeds
  • Trash and discarded materials
  • Unlicensed business
  • Unlicensed or inoperable vehicles

Roads or Transportation Concerns

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) maintains most roads in the county. This includes, but is not limited to: grass in the public roads; removal of items from the road; road, sidewalk or bike path repairs; signs, signals or guardrail repair or installation; and snow removal. Please contact VDOT directly regarding any of these issues.

  1. Business License Enforcement
  2. Vehicle Enforcement

Business License Enforcement

Most businesses operating in Chesterfield County are required to obtain a business license, which is issued by the Commissioner of the Revenue. If it appears that a is business operating without a valid business license, they may receive a notice or citation. 

Comply with Notice or Citation

To comply with the notice or citation, you must obtain the proper business license.. If you have questions about completing the forms or calculating the assessed fee, please email the Commissioner of the Revenue. Please be aware that to obtain a business license, in addition to any license fees, you must also pay all business tangible personal property taxes before the before the business license can be issued.

If you have questions about the notice or citation, contact the issuing inspector by calling the number on the document or email the License Inspector.

Notification Requirements Regarding Business Closures

Business owners are required to notify the Commissioner of the Revenue and the License Inspector in writing that they are no longer operating. They must provide the date the business ceased operation and the gross receipts for the business in its last year of operation.