Are you currently out of work, considering a change of career, interested in education and training, have questions or need assistance with your job search, resume or interviewing? We’ve got you covered! Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services offers various employment services and programs free of charge to all residents (18+) of Chesterfield County and the City of Colonial Heights.
Services offered include:
- Career assessment
- Interview preparation
- Job fairs
- Job search assistance
- Online applications assistance
- Referrals to community resources
- Resume assistance
- Soft skills training
- And much more!
- Virginia Initiative for Education and Work
- First Choice Community Employment Center
- SNAP Employment & Training Program
Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW)
VIEW is the two year employment services program designed for individuals who are currently receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF). The goal is to provide assistance with transitioning from welfare to self-sufficiency. VIEW Family Services Specialists provide case management, crises intervention and supportive services such as childcare and transportation. If you feel that you qualify for the VIEW program, you can apply and check your eligibility for TANF.
First Choice Community Employment Center (FCCEC)
The FCCEC was launched in the Fall of 2015 and is available for all residents (18+) of Chesterfield County or the City of Colonial Heights regardless if they are receiving benefits or not. Individual case management is provided. Other services include:
- Job Leads Distribution List: Sign up for the Job Leads Distribution List to receive weekly jobs leads and employment related workshops via email or text.
- Bi-Annual Job Fairs: The FCCEC hosts Career & Education fairs held in the Spring and Fall of each year.
- Meet the Employer Events: Periodically scheduled each month, this is an opportunity for job seekers to meet with an employer onsite and discuss their current opportunities as well as interview.
- Important Update: Due to COVID-19, job fairs are now being offered in a virtual platform. Please check back periodically or join our mailing list for upcoming virtual job fair dates. Meet the employer events are postponed until further notice.
SNAP Employment & Training Program (SNAP E&T)
SNAP E&T is an employment and training assistance program designed to help non-exempt SNAP participants gain skills, training or work experience that leads to sufficiency. All eligible participants must be engaged in work related activities for 20 hours or more per week to continue receiving SNAP benefits.
You are considered exempt from SNAP E&T if you are:
- Under 18 or over 50
- Living in the same household as someone who is under 18
- Physically or mentally unable to work
- Currently enrolled at least part-time in school (college/university)
- Receiving Virginia unemployment benefits
- Enrolled in the VIEW Program