- Elected and Appointed Officials
- Register to Vote
Register to Vote
Virginia Voter Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to vote in Virginia, a voter must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be 18 years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
- Not currently be declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Have his/her/their right to vote restored if ever convicted of a felony
- General elections are 22 days before election day
- Primary elections are 22 days before election day
Chesterfield Registered Voters
View the registered voters list (PDF) for Chesterfield County registered voter data. To view historical registration statistics, visit the Department of Elections website.
Ways to Register
- Register online
- Download registration application (PDF)
- Obtain a registration form from one of the following places:
Submitting an Application
Registration applications must be received or postmarked no later than the registration deadline. Applications that are received or postmarked after the deadline will be held and processed after the election.
Please answer every question and sign the application for it to be valid. To submit, please send by mail to:
P.O. Box 1690
Chesterfield VA 23832-1690
Or deliver in-person (either by the applicant or a third party) to the Office of the General Registrar, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. The office is open the two Saturdays preceding each election from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Once submitted, please allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed. A voter registration card will be mailed to your residence address.
Update Your Voter Registration Record
For existing Virginia voters only, there are several ways for you to update your voter registration record:
- Online with the Virginia Department of Elections
- In person at the Office of the General Registrar
- Complete the change of address form on the back of your voter registration card and mail it or bring it in person to the Office of the General Registrar. The request must include your signature to be valid.
- Download and complete a Virginia Voter Registration Form (PDF), or, if you are military or overseas, download a Federal Post Card Application. The request must include your signature to be valid.
- Send a letter requesting the update. The letter must include your full name, last four digits of your social security number, date of birth, new and old address, as well as your signature to be valid.
- Request to Cancel Your Voter Registration (PDF)
After the update is processed, a new voter registration card will be mailed to your residence address, if applicable.
Report the Death of a Registered Voter
To report the death of a registered voter, visit the Virginia Department of Elections voter forms page and complete the report of death of registered voter form (PDF).