The sale, possession, and use of fireworks by anyone other than a licensed and permitted fireworks professional is prohibited by the Chesterfield County Fire Prevention Code.
For fire displays, permits are issued by this office and permits must be submitted for review 15 days in advance of the event. Requirements for displays are listed on the application for fireworks displays (PDF).
Chesterfield County Fire Prevention Code
The Fire Prevention Code is as follows:
- 5601.1 Scope: The manufacture, possession, display, storage, handling, sale or use of fireworks shall comply with the provisions of this chapter.
- 5602.1 Definition: Fireworks shall mean any firecracker, torpedo, skyrocket, or other substance or object, of whatever form or construction, that contains any explosive or inflammable compound or substance, and is intended, or commonly known, as fireworks and which explodes, rises into the air or travels laterally, or fires projectiles into the air. Fireworks shall not include auto flares, paper caps containing not more than an average of 0.25 grain (16 mg) of explosive content per cap, or toy pistols, toy canes, toy guns or other devices utilizing such caps and items commonly known as party poppers, pop rocks and snap-n-pops.
- 5601.2.2.1 Violations (County Ordinance): No person shall store, possess, offer for sale, expose for sale, sell at retail, or use or explode any fireworks, or pyrotechnic special effect materials, except as provided in the rules and regulations issued by the code official for the granting of permits for supervised displays of fireworks or pyrotechnic special effect materials.
- 5608.1 Permit General: A permit shall be required for the display of fireworks and pyrotechnic special effect material.
- 5608.2 Permit Application: Application for permits shall be made in writing at least 15 days in advance of the date of the display or discharge of fireworks or pyrotechnic special effects materials. The sale, possession, discharge and distribution of fireworks or pyrotechnic special effect materials for display shall be lawful only under the terms and conditions, and for the purpose set forth in the permit. A permit shall not be transferable, and shall not extend beyond the dates set forth in the permit.
- 5608.3 Approved Display: Permitted fireworks displays shall be conducted by an operator approved by the fire official, and the fireworks shall be arranged, located, discharged and fired in a manner that will not constitute a hazard to property or endanger any person.
- 5601.2.4.2 Insurance Required for Display: Before a permit is issued for a fireworks display, the applicant for such permit shall file, with the fire official, a certificate or proof of insurance in such form, amount and coverage as determined by the fire official and county attorney to be adequate to indemnify the County and members of the public against any damages which may be caused either to a person or persons or to property by reason of the permitted display, and arising from any acts of the permit holder, the permit holders agents, employees or subcontractors.