Long Term Care
- Commonwealth Coordinated Care (CCC+) Plus Waiver
- Applying for CCC+ Waiver Process
- Children Resources – Not Eligible for CCC+
- Companion Services
The types of services offered:
- Adult Day Center
- Nursing Facility
- Personal Care – Agency and Consumer Directed
- Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)
- Provided for those citizens who are
- Age 65 or older
- Disabled adults
- Children who need community-based care
- Require 24-hour care in a nursing home facility
- Completed by a family services specialist and a health department nurse
- Used to determine the individual's medical need for care
- Provided at no cost
- Available for assisted living facilities. (See Auxiliary Grant - Assisted Living Facility)
Step 1 - Apply for Medicaid
To apply for Medicaid you must be 65 and over, disabled or blind. When applying for Medicaid for adults over age 19 with disabilities, adults aged 65 or over, and for all people who need long term care services, you will need to fill out the following:
- Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs - Appendix D (PDF)
- Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs - Appendix D (Spanish) (PDF)
- Find out how to apply
Important Note - If you don’t have Medicaid apply as soon as possible. Remember, the services you are requesting are paid for by Medicaid.
- You may apply by phone at 855-242-8282 (Cover Virginia) or online at Commonhelp. The Help Line for the website is 855-635-4370.
- If you already have Medicaid (any type), you do not need to re-apply.
- Make sure your Medicaid worker is aware of your approval.
You may ask questions about your case by calling the Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services, Customer Care, 804-748-1100.
Step 2 - Request Screening
To request a screening call Chesterfield - Colonial Heights Department of Social Services at 804-748-1100, and select option 5 for Adult Protective Services Adult Services.
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Step 3 - After the Screening Visit
You will receive a decision letter in about 10 to 14 business days from the health department.
Step 4 -After Receiving Your Letter
Please read the entire letter. If you are approved, you will receive a list of providers. The list will include names and phone numbers for personal care/CD-PAS agencies, adult day health care centers and nursing homes.
- If you choose PACE, additional information is provided for you to access those services as well.
- You may choose a provider from the list.
- You may also go to Department of Medical Assistance Services for a complete list of providers.
- Contact the provider that you chose. Let them know that you have been approved for Long Term Services and Supports and that you want to start services.
- For nursing home placement, ask if there is a “Medicaid funded bed” available.
Step 5 - After Choosing a Provider
The provider of your choice needs to contact the health department at 804-751-4908 to request the UAI. A faxed request to the health department should be on the provider’s letterhead. Fax the request to 804-706-2016. The UAI is medical information and will only be released to authorized persons.
Long Term Services & Support
Long Term Services and Support should be started as soon as possible after receiving your letter:
- Medicaid - Please keep in mind, you must be approved for Medicaid benefits to start receiving care.
- After six months - If services have not started, an update must be completed by the health department. A telephone update may be scheduled by calling 804-751-4908.
- After one year - Your screening has expired. You no longer have Long Term Care services. If you still want services, a new screening must be requested. You may request a new screening by calling the Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services at 804-748-1100, select option 5 for Adult Services/Adult Protective Services.
- Breaks in service - If you have started services and will be in the hospital or in rehab for three weeks or more, speak with a hospital case manager, social worker, or discharge planner to request a new screening before you are discharged.
Assisted Living Facility Services
- Room and Board
- Maintenance and Care
- 24/7 Supervision
Process for applying for Auxiliary Grant Assisted Living Facility:
- Apply for Medicaid - 65 and over, disabled, or blind
- How to apply
- When applying for Medicaid for adults over age 19 with disabilities, adults aged 65 or over, and for all people who need long term care services, you will need to fill out an ABD-LTC - Appendix D application as well as the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs.
- Complete the Auxiliary Grant Application (PDF)
- Contact Assisted Living Facility of choice and request facility assessment. Here is a list of assisted living facilities that accept the auxiliary grant (PDF).
Once accepted by Assisted Living Facility, request a screening assessment (UAI) by calling Chesterfield - Colonial Heights Department of Social Services at 804-748-1100, and select option 5 for Adult Protective Services Adult Services:
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Options while on Developmental Disabled (DD) Waiver list and not eligible for CCC+ (Extension page 4):
- Chesterfield Mental Health
- Navigating the Developmental Disability Waivers: A Guide for Individuals, Families and Support Partners (PDF)
- Infant and Toddler Connection of Chesterfield
- Office of Special Education Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Department of Exceptional Education
- Early, Periodic, Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment EPSDT Program Fact Sheet
- District 19 Community Services Board (Colonial Heights)
Companion Services is a program available to income eligible elderly and disabled adults who need help with basic daily living activities such as:
- Light housekeeping
- Meal preparation
- Medication monitoring