Mental Health Support Services
The Department of Mental Health Support Services (MHSS) is the provider of mental health, developmental disabilities and substance use disorder services for children and adults in Chesterfield County. Services are also available for very young children through our Prevention and Early Intervention Programs.
Mental Health Resources
- Grieving The Loss of a Loved One During COVID-19 (PDF)
- Guide to Starting a Conversation with a Loved One About a Mental Health or Substance Use Concern (PDF)
- Let's Talk About It - Mental Health For Seniors (PDF)
- Mental Health Fact Sheet: Maintaining Good Mental Health (PDF)
- Mental Health Fact Sheet: Recognizing When You Need Help With Your Mental Health (PDF)
- Mental Health Fact Sheet: Starting To Think About Mental Health (PDF)
- Mental Health Fact Sheet: Terms To Know (PDF)
- Mental Health Fact Sheet: What Plays A Role In Developing Mental Health Conditions (PDF)
- Mental Health Fact Sheet: What To Do When You Need Help (PDF)
- Mental Health Information and Resource Guide (PDF)
- National Alliance for Grieving Children (NAGC) - Responding to Change and Loss (PDF)
- Tips for Helping a Loved One Who is Coping with a Mental Health or Substance Use Concern (PDF)
- Use Technology To Boost Your Mental Health (PDF)
Provides individualized mental health counseling services to adults over the age of 18. Consumers seek services for a wide range of problems including:
- Domestic Violence
- Substance Use Disorders
- Variety of interpersonal problems
For more information about Adult Services:
Services for children and adolescents are offered through a broad range of programming that focuses on mental health and substance use disorder treatment and preventative and early intervention programs for ages birth to 17 years of age.
Developmental Disability Services
Services provide flexible and individualized supports to children and adults with developmental disabilities. These include residential supports to adults, training / support to individuals (ages 11 to adult) with developmental disabilities, among other services.