Subfacility of Chesterfield County Historic Courthouse Complex
|Other Link||Historical Jail|
About the Jail
Tours of the Historic 1892 Jail start at the County Museum.
The old Jail sits next to the County Museum. The historic 1892 Jail is commonly referred to as the “Old Jail.” A two-story granite and brick building, it served as the county prison until 1962. During the 1940's, the jail also served as Police headquarters and housed the county communications center. In 1982, it was designated a museum and made available to the Chesterfield Historical Society as its first head office location. Upstairs, original iron-barred cells still enclose metal bunks, primitive ablution facilities and graffiti. Downstairs, the space is used for temporary exhibits. The front porch features a stone step preserved from the first Chesterfield County courthouse of 1749.
The structure is a Virginia Historic Landmark. The jail has been renovated and is open to the public.