The Chesterfield Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court has the authority to issue protective orders to prevent further acts of violence or threats of violence from:
- Family members
- A person you have a child in common with
- A person you have resided with in the past 12 months
- Come to the Court Services Unit and request a petition for a protective order (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- Go the Magistrate's Office located at the Chesterfield County Jail and request an Emergency Protective Order after 4:30 p.m. on weekdays, weekends and holidays.
- If granted by the magistrate, the order is only for 72 hours
- You must then come to the CSU to request a petition for a protective order
Please be advised: Just because an emergency protective order was issued by the magistrate does not guarantee a petition for a protective order will be issued. If there is probable cause to issue a petition, the intake officer will assist you with the next steps.